Monday, March 8, 2010

Well, It Just So Happens...

If I had to entitle the season of life I am in right now like the title of a chapter in a book, I'd have to call this one "It Just So Happens." There have been several exciting things take place over the last two months since I moved here to Indiana.

Coincidence #1?: First of all, the Language Training Center. Getting a job there has been wonderful, and I am hoping and praying that I will be able to stay there for a good amount of time. Everytime a teacher gets a new student there, they meet with the ESL coordinator to discuss the student: what language they speak, where they are from, what their goals in English are, and what their language proficiency is. Well...It Just So Happens that at the very first "briefing" I attended for one of my first students, I ran into an OLD friend that I hadn't seen for close to 10 years. To give you a bit of history, when I was 10 I began attending a summer youth camp in southern Indiana, at Shakamack Camp Grounds, made up of several other youth groups. I attended this camp from ages 10-14. During that time (I think the first year, actually), I met this young girl who was around my age. We became good friends and started exchanging letters and Christmas cards throughout the years we attended camp. After the last year I went to camp, I lost contact with this girl and hadn't heard from her since. I thought I knew she attended Taylor Unv. (15 mns. from IWU), but that memory was foggy. SO! Back to the story, I am sitting in this briefing on my new student and there is another girl my age sitting next to me because we are sharing this student. Suddenly she turns to me and says, "If I said FYC to you, would that sound familiar?" -- I glanced off, blinking my eyes several times, hoping to realize what she was saying. Finally, it dawned on me! FYC, or Fellowship Youth Camp, was the name of the youth camp, and looking down on the face sheet, I read her name. "Oh my goodness, Michelle! It's been like what, 9 or 10 years?" (Probably less, but it seemed forever!) So, we finished the briefing just absolutely shocked and stunned. She just so happened to be working at the same company I just got hired at. She just so happened to be an ESL teacher, like me. She just so happened to be sharing a student with me. And, she just so happened to be a great childhood friend that I nearly forgot about. It is great to see you again, Michelle!

Coincidence #2?: This past week was a challenge for me. I've been subbing everyday for two high schools and trying to get into the groove of a good schedule for teaching at night as well. Part of me enjoys this new phase, while the other part really hates it. I'd love to just get into a stable full-time job where I can get myself settled. Well, on Tuesday morning of last week, it JUST SO HAPPENS that I was placed in an ESL classroom. I went in, introduced myself, and let her know what my certification and licensing were in. She was excited to know that I could teach her students, and so we began going through the lesson plan for the day. While we did that, she stopped and said, "This is going to sound really random, but do you have a place to live?" -- I was kind of surprised to hear this and answered that yes, but it was temporary, that I am looking for something longterm. She then explained that her roommate is getting married, the place where she lives is close to where I live now, and the rent is incredibly reasonable. Hesitantly, I said, "Wow, that is so funny that you say all of this because I have actually been...[hesitantly]...praying about a roommate." She looked at me and said, "That's what I was just going to say!" So, she JUST HAPPENS to be an ESL teacher, a Christian, and in need of a roommate. Whether it will work out or not, it JUST SO HAPPENS that I serve an amazing God who knows my needs before I even speak them out, who knows the passions and desires He has given me, who CALLS ME BY NAME, and who has GOT my back. See, Mary, I've got you, Babe.

Wow.

And, I'm sure there are more IT JUST SO HAPPENS stories to come, but for now, I just wanted to share those brief ones.

Praise GOD!

2 comments:

Stephen and Michelle said...

That is AWESOME!!!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

It just so happens that God is in this business. Aunt Linda