Sunday, March 14, 2010

He Alone Can Rescue...


Today, I sang the solo at church and God really did help. I praise God that He is allowing me to learn the lesson of taking care of this gift especially now before our Easter program when I still have time to practice, practice, practice. I always wanted to sing in church or use my voice for something, but as a teenager, it just never worked out. And, I think that was on purpose. My relationship with God wasn't as authentic as it is now. Now, when I sing it means so much more. Even on Sunday morning as we practiced, I remembered what a friend once said to me when I was asked to sing at a wedding and couldn't sing well because of a sore throat. "Make a joyful noise to the Lord, Mary Sue." And, I did! Even though my part wasn't that great, I was worshipping! I want that for the Easter program. It will be my first, ever, where I am part of the program.

This lesson of learning to take care of my gifts and use them as an offering has been good, but not easy for me. I really took it seriously when our choir director told us one rehearsal that there were two things that Trinity valued for us: musical excellence and spiritual excellence. And I fell short. BUT GOD IS GOOD. I wasn't sure how our choir director would take me missing a four-hour practice because of teaching this past Saturday, but he was very gracious. Between Wednesday and Saturday, I was upset at myself for not emailing him or letting him know sooner. So, lessons in diligence as a whole have been part of the curriculum in, as my wonderful Grandma Fall would say, "the School of God". I take comfort in her words because "He trusts you, Mary Sue!" as she has often told me. Praise God for an amazing mentor, friend and parent in my life as Grandma Fall.

When God gives you a gift, it is then your responsibility to get curious, rattle the box a bit, open it, investigate it, experiment with it to find it's best use, practice using it with it's best use, and then USE it! For me, the lesson was to first be willing to use it for Him, to keep practicing, to keep my heart focused on Him, then to USE it for HIS GLORY.

Just some thoughts for you...goodnight, friends!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad things went well, Continue to use your gift. Aunt Linda

Mary Sue said...

Thanks for all of your encouragement and prayers, Aunt Linda! It's been great to come home from a crazy day at work and read blogs and find a little note from you! Love you! ~Mary Sue