Monday, March 22, 2010

Do not despise small beginnings...

This past weekend, I battled to keep the lies out. Lies that said, "You mooch", "How could you live with them this long?", "You don't belong here" or "They don't enjoy having you here anymore" -- nothing but LIES from the enemy. It is evident in how great the relationships are, what God has done in both parties, and His peace in my heart that I am supposed to be with them. On Sunday night, I met with a friend who mentioned briefly the verse from Zechariah that I don't believe I've ever heard before (as a verse anyway!). I looked it up online and was blessed by its relevance for me during this time. Once I read it, I thought Accept His gifts and His provision. Trust that you are where He wants you. Look at all the things He has done for you, Mary! God has been so good to you! So here is the verse:

"Do not despise these small beginnings, for the LORD rejoices to see the work begin..." (Zechariah 4:10)

When I was looking up this verse, I found a precious blog that I would like to share with you. This blog is kept by a young mom who also found comfort in this verse from Zechariah. Feel free to take a look: http://www.noordinarymomentsblog.com/2008/04/do-not-despise-these-small-beginnings.html

"...for the LORD rejoices to see the work begin..." -- How powerful to know and believe that this time in my life is something that makes Him rejoice! He gets excited because the work I am doing is truly beginning! Even though the initial training is over (for college), there will be many lessons continuing in the School of God (as my Granny Fall would say). My 'small beginnings' have been varied: living with a couple from my church and renting out their daughter's old bedroom, substitute teaching, making good contacts & starting to network, having just enough money for bills & minor expenses (like gas, etc.)...the list goes on. On Sunday I finally burst, but Dad simply said -"just one day at a time." To know that God doesn't despise this time in my life -- that the meager tasks I am completing on a daily basis do have purpose and the people I am influencing as a sub need me in their lives for however short a time -- He doesn't despise in, but REJOICES in. I believe that He rejoices in his daughter as I faithfully take on each task with peace, not with a despairing heart, but choosing to trust that He will provide and guide. As they say (whoever 'they' are)--"You've gotta start somewhere, right?"

Lord, I want to have that quiet, trusting heart. To take on each duty, each day - and to give my best regardless of the type or level of each task. Lord, help me to rejoice with you in these small beginnings. And may I pray, like my friend did on Sunday night, that you would bless me so that I can bless others. Father, I want to be what you want me to be. Help me to not miss any moments you have for me -- moments to be obedient, moments to meditate on you and your truth, moments to be active and moments to wait. Help me to live today as you desire for me to live. Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. Help me to live in that freedom as I walk with you, obeying and trusting you. I ask all of these things in the name of Jesus. And Holy Spirit, for whatever I cannot aritculate through human words, groan for me, intercede for me, and please pour your grace on. I think of these students. Walking corpses, some of them are. Clothed in your Righteousness, some of them are. All, you love. All, you desire. Please help them to come to know you as their personal savior. Amen.


Ooo! P.S.~ Right before that verse, an angel says to Zechariah, "So he said to me, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty." -- So, only through God do these small beginnings have purpose and only through His Spirit can I walk with Him each day, accomplishing what He wants accomplished!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beginnings aren't small in His hands. Aunt Linda

Stephen and Michelle said...

That is a great verse! Thanks for sharing it!!
Michelle

Cathy said...

And the context is that Zerubbabel was building the temple of God! He only had a few stones in place when Zechariah prophesies, but the entire temple was rebuilt... in time! I wonder what temple you have begun? :-)