Friday, March 12, 2010

Update on Substitute Teaching

Alright, so here is my update on subbing. I have been trying to think of a particular experience that stuck out as a "God Moment", but honestly, I am having them all the time. Whether it is just talking to the students or correcting them, laughing with them or helping them to finish the assignments, I feel like God has just been loving them through me. Or maybe it is just His peace that I am enjoying so much lately -- His peace that this is where I am supposed to be. Thank you, Lord! Teaching really is an awesome opportunity because I see sooo many kids in a day! Even though subbing is NOT teaching, I feel like I am making good connections and helping kids, even if it is only for 90 mns a day. Also, I've met a lot of great staff and teachers who really care about what they're doing. It's exciting when teachers realize that I am a teacher and can teach their lessons. I love that. About two weeks ago, I subbed for students taking a test in a math class. Towards the end of the class, this girl came up and I invited her to just sit and chat with me for a while. What a wonderfully-made creation blessed with such drive and potential! We had a great talk about college, the future, and what to do with passions that we just "have". I saw her earlier this week which was a treat and then I had her again in class this morning. We chatted a bit after class and she had no idea that she needed to fill out a FAFSA form for college next year! I hope it is not too late! Please pray for this special girl. I will call her *JaMia in my entries, should I mention her again. I remember asking God a month ago when I first started this to give me just one student that I could maybe get to know well and mentor a bit, if God feels like I am in a good place to mentor someone else. Well, who knows what will happen?

As I have met and worked for many teachers, I've been able to share where I'm from and what my degree and certification is in. Several of the teachers I've talked to have said in reply to my K-12 ESL degree/license that "oh! you should be set! you'll be just fine for a job!" -- to which I am hoping and praying for. I know that I am where God wants me for right now and I know that it will not be all rosy when I do get that position as a teacher...so, I am trying to remember that He is and will prepare me for that position, that He can see ahead of time all of the struggles and situations I will encounter, and that He knows when the right timing is. Even though I really want it, I've got to trust for that just-right position for me and that just-right timing. I hope that soon I will be able to post another entry entitled, "IT JUST SO HAPPENS...that I GOT A JOB, PRAISE GOD!"

God, help me to wait on you, Lord. Please provide a full-time ESL teaching position at the right time and in the right place, and help me to trust you for it. Thank you for your precious love. I love you, God.

I couldn't do any of this without God's grace and strength. He speaks through me because he delights in them; I'm just a vessel. I am so thankful for His grace, dear friends! I couldn't love or listen or encounter each student with grace if it wasn't for His great love and grace. I am not worthy. He is worthy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job Mary. God has His timing and job for you. Subbing will help prepare you for your own class.Aunt Linda