Thursday, March 18, 2010

"Pick me up, Daddy!"

Last night at choir practice, the music director read a chapter from a book on worship during our devotions. The author painted a very real picture for me with one of his illustrations. {I have embellished some parts to this picture so that you could see what I saw!} Imagine a father and little three or four year old child getting into an elevator. With each new floor stop, more and more people try to cram into the increasingly heavy box, hoping to get to their meetings and work within minutes. With every new passenger, the little child clings to her Daddy's hand more, shifting with him as each new passenger comes with their own unique shape and style, luggage and disposition. Pretty soon, there is barely enough room to blink and what is resting at eye level for the little four year old is nothing but belt buckels, purses and bags, and an ever-swinging elbow that barely grazes her scalp. There is just enough space to see the red "stop" at the bottom of the other floor buttons. How the little four year old wishes she could reach through the trafficking legs and bodies, pressing the stop and open buttons, pushing all the others out to leave her with alone with her Daddy and peaceful space. She looks up among all the heads of people -- tumbling curls hanging above her, a hat shifting the shadows from the lights above, a man with a hairy nose, and finally -- her Daddy -- still holding her hand and looking confidently at the lit up floor number resting on the half-circle in which they are to exit from. Reaching up with outstretched arms and fingers, the child says with desperation, "Daddy, please! Pick me up, Daddy!" -- and something in my heart resonated with something in that little child's heart.

Father, I need a new perspective on this job-hunting thing. And with the future. I feel like I am that little child -- and all I see are belt buckles and purses and the ever-swinging elbow of finances coming back and forth at me. God, I know you will provide and I believe you will provide. Please help me to keep my mind from all the things that are temporary (those things that will exit the elevator) and from the things that Satan wants me to speculate about and doubt about. God, help me to work hard, trust you, and wait patiently. Please give me peace about the future. As I did the dishes the other day, You spoke so personally and genuinely to my heart, saying that you would never leave me without provision. Father, I am calling out and seeking your face above the things of this world -- draw me close to you. Pick me up so that I can have a new perspective on things. I worship you, Lord. You have a purpose and a plan for our lives, and you will not abandon us! I pray all of these things in the power of Jesus' name with confidence and faith. Amen.

Dear Readers, I am anticipating God's hand! I can't wait to share another, "IT JUST SO HAPPENS..." story with you! Please pray that God would continue to show up in miraculous ways and show me what He wants for me. I trust him! Please pray that God would show me the things I need to do to get a full-time teaching job here. I know He will provide -- I believe that it is just a matter of time!

3 comments:

Stephen and Michelle said...

That is a great analogy - and, yes, it is hard to search through all the things crowding our lives to try to see where we are supposed to "stop"...but as the analogy implies, we need to trust that our Father is able to see through all of these earthly things and let us know when we need to "get out of the elevator".

Thanks for sharing!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Good illustration and application.I'll pray that God leads in His timing. Aunt Linda

sara jean said...

Mary Sue, this encouraged me greatly today! Thanks for sharing.