Thursday, April 15, 2010

Yoked and Right Beside You

I am so excited to share with all of you that I will be signing my very first lease on Sunday, April 18! I have never signed one, so initially I am a little nervous. It has been really awesome to see how God has showed me that this is what He wants. As I've been praying about this, God has been leading me to various devotionals, individuals, and verses. All have seemed to be pointing towards making that next big step to move out. It would be easy to stay with the family that I'm living with. However, the Lord has provided a little more and if you remember my IT JUST SO HAPPENS entries, it is evident that God has truly been a part of this.

Monday of this week, I prayed A LOT. It was so awesome. I hadn't fasted in a while (and please don't see this as me bragging -- God is SO good to me), but felt it was necessary because the decision is so important. It was great because as soon as I decided to fast for lunch that day, it was like God hightened my spirit to His spirit -- and before hunger or any other pain set in -- His spirit was already ministering to me! I felt like I was able to worship with more freedom and trust. Then, when I got to school, I spent my extra time with Him. I read several devotionals from Oswald Chambers (which I used to do a lot), and all of them had to do with trusting in Him, walking with Him, relying on His provision. It was AWESOME! I also want to share a picture that I got while I was reflecting over the devotionals. As I read, one of the scriptures had to do with casting your cares on Him and rolling your burdens onto Him. As I thought about doing that, I thought about God's yoke. His yoke is easy and burden is light. Then I saw in my mind's eye a yoke, like oxen would wear as they were plowing the field described in the Bible. I saw myself and Jesus yoked together and I felt like He was telling me a few things: We are in this together, I am walking right beside you. As you wait for an earthly Love, I am here - I'm all you really need and I am molding you to be equally yoked with me.

It was really neat to have that picture in my mind as I added up the pros and cons and tried to weight them out. God has been so faithful to miraculously provide for me! Thank you, Papa!

After the devotionals, I met a really awesome Art teacher that I was supposed to sub for. His meeting was on Friday, so I didn't need to be in his class for the block, but he invited me to stay. I saw that he had a Bible on one of the tables next to his desk. I told him that was great that he had it there and we ended up sitting on stools in the back of his room talking about God while his students worked on their illustrations. Two of the most influential things he shared in those moments were when he shared his testimony with me and the fact that sometimes we can focus on such minute prayers and requests -- when really God has so much more that He wants us to ask for. Half way through his testimony, my eyes got misty and he asked if I was okay. Haha. Yes, I am doing just great. I really needed to hear the words of his testimony, "So many people think that if you become a Christian, you have to give up so many things. In reality, it isn't what you give up, but what you gain!" -- hearing him at that point was so comforting.

And that was all before lunch!

Then lunch arrived and I settled into the driver's seat of my car with my juice and the book, Hinds' Feet on High Places, an allegory about a girl named Much-Afraid who goes with the Chief Shepherd to the High Places. I prayed and listened to the radio -- it was awesome how God accompanied me all day long before lunch. I expected that lunch time would be when I refocus and come to God, but God and I had already been together all day! It was wonderful.

My classes went really well for the rest of the day and when supper came, I was truly thankful for how God had been so faithful to me earlier that day. I called my parents after work and told them about my tentative plans. I wasn't sure how they would react even though they told me that moving would be healthy. When I first told dad about it a little over a month ago, he warned me to pray about it and not to rush into anything. I really appreciate him. What he said moved me to prayer. So, I called my parents and had them put me on speaker phone so everyone could hear my announcement (which was cool, too, because my older cousin, Bethany was there - and she and Val has been like the older sisters I never had. So it was really neat to have her there). My parents were excited for me and excited to see what God does with this.

After chatting with my parents, which went so well, I met my soon-to-be roommate at a local park and took a walk with her. That was really fun. I feel like I can really be myself around her. Praise God! We had a great time talking and getting to know each other more. God, please bless this friendship.

So, as I will be phasing into this chapter (Yay!), I am continuing to pray and give thanks for what God has done. A radio announcer asked in her prayer the other day that we would be careful to give Him praise for what He has done. Help me to be careful, Lord. This is you stepping in, being my Holy Husband, providing and protecting. God, you are so good to me. As I reflect back on last year's heartaches and trials with China, I can now see how you have used it and how much I needed to go through it. You have made Plan B look like Plan A -- who would've known? Who could've planned like that? It was so difficult, but you stepped in and defended me. I am not ashamed but thankful for what you allowed me to go through. Throughout the entirety of this past year, I have learned one of the most valuable lessons: that I really can trust you. God, I committ this next move into your hands. I committ my friendship with my soon-to-be roommate, my life and my decisions to you. I am relying on your grace and mercy. I cannot do anything without you and I don't want to! Please provide a long-term teaching job for me in your timing and help me to be diligent with the students you've given me now. I want to serve you and I know you are calling me to be a classroom teacher, K-12. God, I give that to you. It is in your timing and according to your plan.