Saturday, October 2, 2010

Your Mission, Should You Choose

I have relished in my job this week. Absolutely. I just love it. Yes, there are tough points and I'm still learning how to teach various parts of our language and how to handle various management elements in the classroom, but the most fulfilling thing is to know that I have helped bring awareness -- and that they get it! AHH, such a delight. As I've been thinking about this, a particular experience came to mind and it was almost like an action movie began to play out in my mind. I was given an assignment, and if I chose to accept that mission, the possible outcomes could be incredible.

There is a common practice at the Language Training Center: briefing. It's great. When you get a new student, you go to what is called a "briefing" -- where one of the head teachers tells you about the new student you've been assigned to including cultural background, their level of language proficiency, their language goals and focus, texts you can use, etc. This has become a part of the job that I love because each student is absolutely different, with their own unique abilities and learning focuses. When I go in for a briefing, I feel like I am being handed a mission -- I am briefed with the object, the obstacles, and specific tactics or weapons that I am to use. The headteachers are like my tactical-instructors, my espionage gurus. It was so cool this week to go to another briefing simply because of what I learned. I have never had an Indian student before - which I have anticipated greatly! - and to be let in on all the details of this student's academic and business language journey was just awesome.

Recently, as I was brainstorming- I looked online (HAHA) for some secret agent lingo to use in the crafting of this entry. Instead, I found this really cute game-website called, "Who Wants To Be a Secret Agent?" Before entering the game, of course, they had to tell you what you were getting yourself into:

"For any nation or society with enemies there is no substitute for reliable intelligence and covert operations. Espionage is a dangerous business that cannot be conducted from afar. One must get those proverbial hands dirty. This is where the Secret Agent gets involved. When you enjoy a comfortable and predictable life, spies leave their friends, families and native cultures often for very long periods of time. They endure hardship and danger to adapt, observe, and conduct perilous missions. Secret Agents must have expert knowledge of their enemy."

As I read this kiddie-descriptor, I took a double-take of the last line. Secret Agents must have expert knowledge of their enemy. We have to know what we're looking for. We have to know who is looking for us. Our mission objectives, so to speak, as Christians, are simple: know the enemy, know the One you work for, and know YOUR objectives. What has God called us all to do? "To love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength; and to love your neighbor as yourself"

Mission Control, this is Agent MS2010. I have landed in the designated region and I'm ready for assignment. I choose to accept the mission.

No comments: